Sunday, March 19, 2017

I am a Pharisee

It's been dawning on me for a while.the light was dim but slowly brightening.the thought that the plain people are today's religious elite as perceived by the uninformed public that does not actually know us.they love our simple minds and backward ways and our "gentle" spirits.if they only knew us.to them we are the salt of the earth.....And we are proud to "humbly " accept that distinction.
We are the modern day Pharisees.
But I didn't see it in myself.only saw it in others.now one thing I've learned is that a reoccurring "flaw"that shows up in others is a vibrant sign of a beam in my own eye.but I chugged along happily oblivious to it.
Then I went to contemporary Christian concert last Thursday.loved their music and was looking forward to it.a band called the "Newsboys"made famous by the Gods Not Dead movies.and I came face to face with my pharisee self.
I found myself judging everyone there and disqualifying them from heaven based on their outward appearance.i had been doing this my whole life but had never faced it.i judged them on jewelry,on lack of head coverings,on tattoos,on what I considered immodest clothes,on a lack of respect for "real gospel music",their actions,their weight,their looks,the way they talked.none of them were like me and they weren't good enough.
Then the light bulb went on.
I AM a Pharisee
I was born and raised to be a Pharisee.
I was taught to be a Pharisee.
I loved judging others.
I loved being superior,not "of the world".
I loved being a "religious elite"
And last but not least of all.........I realized I was pathetic.
So pray for me.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you, you are a conqueror and the Lord has Blessed you with being very Truthful and open with your life on paper. Lov Ya Bro.

    ReplyDelete